Wednesday, May 16, 2012

THAT blue dress

Lets Back Up..
Last year Cody told me about a law school banquet coming up that we "needed to go to." Oh yeah, and its "cocktail dress." 
This sprung instant fear into my unfashionable heart. I am the kind of girl who shouts out a hallelujah if my hair isn't in a pony tail, which, let's face it, it always is.
So, I called on my adorable and very fashionable mother-in-law to guide me through this dark situation. She was gracious enough to spend many painful hours (for her) trying to find something for me to wear that was appropriate and not hideous on me. (it's a task)
After a while we stumbled on this dress that I immediately fell in love with. It's cute right!? 
I also found some over the top, kill me now they are so adorable black super tall heals.

Then the night before the banquet I heard the news of, "I don't think I want to go anymore." Even though the kid did have some good reasons, I was sad to skip out on the night. AND I REFUSED (rightly so, I think) to take back the dress and heals.
The heals I wear all the time, because they are adorable. But how often have I needed a cocktail dress in the past year? Not even once. (not that I am surprised) I am not proud of the fact that I remind Cody about the 'blue dress incident' quite frequently. But come on guys... a blue fabulous cocktail dress sitting in my closet untouched. 

Then a miracle happened. Cody, being the wonderful husband that he is, informed me that he wanted to take me out on Saturday for Mother's Day, that his parents were already planning on watching the kids, and that I should wear 'the blue dress.'

I didn't know what he had planned, but was super stoked to not only go on a date with the most handsome man in the world, but also to be able to finally put my blue dress to use.

Last Saturday our date started in down town phoenix were Cody took me to see his office. (we were parked under his building since he gets free parking there, so it wasn't out of the way.) the building was beautiful and I loved seeing his office. It made the whole job thing official in my mind, which was great.

Then we walked a couple blocks to Symphony Hall and got to see Olga Kern play Rachmaninoff's 4th concerto. It was truly amazing. Even though it isn't my favorite of his concertos (I go back and forth between number 2 & 3) It was so incredibly beautiful. I love that even though we didn't NEED to wear such formal clothes (but I in no way felt out of place) Cody went through great lengths to make it special for me. Best. Husband. Ever.

Today we are celebrating our 6th year anniversary. I can truly say it has been the best 6 years of my life. I love being married to Cody simply because I get an excuse to be around him as much as possible. I love you Cody..

2 comments: